KXStudio : Applications : Carla
Carla is an audio plugin host, with support for many audio drivers and plugin formats.
It has some nice features like automation of parameters via MIDI CC (and send output back as MIDI too) and full OSC control.
Carla currently supports LADSPA (including LRDF), DSSI, LV2, VST2/3 and AU plugin formats, plus GIG, SF2 and SFZ file support.
It uses JACK as the default and preferred audio driver but also supports native drivers like ALSA, DirectSound or CoreAudio.
There are 3 types of engine processing:
- Multi-client: (JACK driver only)
Every single plugin is exposed as a new JACK client. Audio and MIDI ports are registered as needed.
- Single-client: (JACK driver only)
Same as Multi-client, except that all JACK ports belong to a single master client.
This is needed when a setup doesn't support multi-client JACK apps, such as LADISH.
Plugins are processed in order, from top to bottom.
Plugins with non-stereo audio channels are not supported, but a forced-stereo option is available for Mono ones.
By default Carla uses its own internal theme, a screenshot of it follows along with some plugins:
The user can keep the custom theme but use system colors, or simply disable the custom theme altogether.
The result may not be as nice though.
The last tab "Log" simply prints debug info from time to time when an internal error occurs, in a way that doesn't disturb the user.
This tab is not available in the Windows version.
The first time you run Carla you'll most likely want to scan for plugins.
You can configure your plugin folders in the settings if needed. When done, use "Add New Plugin" in the toolbar, then press the "Refresh" button.
Because Carla is a somewhat complex application, a single page is not enough to cover it entirely.
(We're currently writing the rest of the pages so be back soon!)
The following are the release notes for 2.0-beta2:
- AU plugin support is available on MacOS, but the discovery mechanism fails to find them
- Linux release has support for bridging Window plugins using Wine (32bit and 64bit).
- Linux 32bit release will not load 64bit plugins even if ran on a 64bit system
- MacOS Carla-Rack LV2 plugin fails to show UI
- MacOS and Windows do not support native widgets in LV2 yet (Cocoa and HWND, respectively)
- MacOS release is 64bit only but it can load 32bit plugins
- Windows 64bit build doesn't provide GIG and SFZ support, use the 32bit build if you need those
- Windows builds do not support bridges (ie, 32bit plugins on a 64bit Carla) or Carla as plugin